What can you do to help Bio Parents?
Bio parents can be very frustrating to work with. Sometimes they want our help, and sometimes they feel like we’re the enemy. So what can you do about it?
We feel like it is super important to help bio parents. Why? If your foster child is going to be reunified with their bio family, these are the people that will be helping that child learn and grow. We want our foster child to be able to go home to the best supportive situation that they can.
When we put forth the effort to help the bio parents/families change and learn while their children are in our care, they will be more equipped to help their children when they come back to their home.
What are some of the ways that we do this?
We know that some situations with bio parents/families won’t allow some of this to happen, but we do our best with what we’ve been given.
- Invite them to events of the foster youth
- Sporting events
- Musical events
- Send them weekly updates with pictures
- Fun things we’ve done for during the week
- Events that the parents couldn’t make it to
- Improvements you have seen in their child
- What skills they are currently working on
- If they are willing, help teach them some skills to help them
- We show the bio parents how we do role plays so they can practice them on visits with their kids
- We ask them if they want to learn any specific skills, and then help them from there
- We give them positive feedback on improvements we see with them (even if it is a stretch) positives go just as far with bio parents as with the youth in your home.
There are plenty of other things that you can do to improve your relationship and help bio parents while their kid/s are in your home. Take a look at your relationships with your foster youth’s parents and see what you can do to help them.
Remember that you aren’t in control of anyone else and you can’t make anyone change, but you are in charge of yourself and what you do. Be willing to try to help bio parents, because maybe they won’t care or listen, but maybe they will and that will be well worth it in the end.